Monday, August 15, 2011

Open Your Eyes....I Am Standing Right Here

I am always amazed at how incredibly smart business leaders can be until it comes time for them to develop their team.  These are individuals who are running multi-million dollar businesses successfully yet when asked to engage with their employees they lose all ability to think strategically and objectively.

Case in point.  On one of my more recent client visits I had the opportunity to eat at one of my favorite restaurants. For those of you who know me well, I can be quite chatty at times.  Needless to say, my server also had the same great quality about her.  In a very short period of time I knew how long she had worked at this establishment, what her career aspirations were and most importantly, she wasn't going to fulfill them where she was currently.

You see, while this organization did a fantastic job on the food and customer service aspects of their business, they did a disservice to their employees.  They don't provide their people with the ability to articulate and communicate their long-term career desires.  Just a few months prior to my visit, "Becky" had learned of an opportunity that was exactly what she was looking for in her next role.  Unfortunately, she learned about it after someone had already been selected.  When she asked her supervisor about why she hadn't been told about the opportunity, his response was typical, "I didn't realize you were interested in that type of position."  You know why he didn't realize it, he never took time to find out anything about "Becky". 

People, you have to begin engaging in conversations with your employees.  Learn what's important to them.  Understand what their career aspirations are and come up with a plan to help achieve them.  One of the number one reasons individuals leave organizations is because of poor leadership from their manager.  With the challenges organizations are having finding, attracting and retaining talent, it's time to open your eyes and see what's in front of you.  Don't be stupid and let the great ones get away. 

While I realize there are two sides to every story and not all managers suck, this has definitely impacted the way I look at this organization.  As for "Becky", she confided in me that she was actively engaging with a competing restaurant for a position very similar to the one she lost out on here.  Someone else had their eyes wide open, saw a talented individual and went after her.  Hopefully she is immersed in her new role and one step further in her career path. 

Now, open your eyes and ears and engage with your people before it's too late.



2 comments:

  1. Love this. I think the thing that's funny about some* folks that are promoted to "manager" type roles, is that while they may be domain experts, are they experts at managing people? I think management is a career in and of itself, not just a title/promotion.

    ReplyDelete